Sunday, December 16, 2007

Gaudate Sunday 2007

John and Thommy

Good morning
I love you

12/16/07 nearly 23 hours later – 1234; inside away from the snow, more exactly away from what the elements do to the roads; more reflexively, away from the fears of what I cannot do, what I’m afraid the car cannot do, on the roads so apparently passable by others.

Up and out on the 5:18 bus that was right on time. A ride to the parking lot to get the mustang. With a center of gravity at about mid-engine, if there’s any swivel in the forward motion, it just naturally spins around the engine as if there were a maypole planted in the hood and anchored on the ground. But, at 0400 I’d walked the street outside my door, up the hill to the ‘main side street’ and both had been plowed and the rain, the drizzle, was not freezing. The forecast of two to four inches of snow, starting between six and eight, gave me a window of opportunity to go get the car. The first bus of he morning. Seven miles to the parking lot, along the routed I’d likely take back to my place – the roads were clear of snow and no apparent icy patches. I’d get back to park the car on the knoll at the top of my street, pointed toward the main street with the best chance of driving to work tomorrow.

The people who came to work last night came in through pretty nasty weather. The folks who were to come in today, at 0700, 1500, 1900, even, maybe the midnight shift upon return were likely to come in knowing the roads wouldn’t be much fun to drive on – nothing unusual for the date and place but still an easy excuse to call in and call off. So, as a thank you, I went from the Meijer parking lot across the street to Kroger’s and got fruit, vegetables, cookies, and donuts – something to please everyone all day I hoped. I hadn’t brought my hospital keys and called for security – Charles responded and remembered me for a midnight rounding months ago. I did not do as well; I did not remember his name; I only sorta recognized his face. The tour of the place went well. The gifts of food were well received. A nice surprise. Something for Donovan to use as a pitch as he called for staff to come in to help out; their being one short. The life on the unit either short or not enough – over? Adapt to acuity up and down. They don’t get it and haven’t had a leader in three years [probably much longer] to get them beyond that victim view of the team available. It’s not about numbers and they haven’t figured out, they have absolutely rejected considering, any other way of doing their job…. But I digress….

At 0640ish I went to starbucks. For the Times [having gotten the local paper at Kroger’s] and a pause with venti white mocaha, skim milk, no whip cream before the earliest mass around, 0730 – if only the snow holds off. Remembering how quickly the snow socked me in yesterday. At 0710 I headed to church and saw the snow flurries in the headlights. As I got closer to the church, the flurry thickened. And I turned back, not because I could not get there, I was not confident I could return. A U-ey across the empty main road and a stop at Panera’s for coffee and fattening scrumptiousness. I walked in and was told that they did not open until 0730 – the message please leave and come back. I told them that the door was open. I was walked out and the door locked behind me. I decided to wait in the car, watching the weather and reading some of the Times. Too bad they missed an opportunity to offer me a seat to wait inside. Maybe it’s a rule and no one there to modify the rule for the circumstance – or such a person did not think to or want to. Too bad. Panera’s simply does not have the starbucks kind of people nor the starbucks spirit. Not nearly as personal. And their coffee is not as good or varied. Their fattenings are more varied and usually fresher. And the free wi fi access is convenienter. And having a gift card present from them helps rationalize stopping there on the way by with starbucks being slightly off the path directly to my place.

Park on the knoll. Walk in with coffee [two mochas] and sweets and the Times [and a little of the local paper not fully read yet]. Inside away from the slipperying roads. Away from the risk and fear of driving – mine and anyone else on the road.

Lessons. Have the right kind of car – and prep the wrong kind of car with the right tires and good weight in the back. It also helps to have car insurance, a current tag, and a valid driver’s license. The absence of any – in my case all – of these raises the risk exponentially: and then some. Do not be an avoiding fool! Don’t run from the [irrational, Albert Ellis!] fears. Just do it!

Inside. Waiting to see if the roads will not be caked with fear later on so I might go to Mass. The nearest church is walkable – and to rationalize, not. Ora pro me.



Gaudate Sunday. 12/16/07

John, the proximal prophet. Not so much to predict as to make the way of the Lord straight and smooth. To ready people for Him. To announce His coming. And to admonish people to prepare. Rejoice, the kingdom of God is at hand! A prelude to psalm Sunday for some – the concept of the Messiah’s worldly kingdom dominated the era. John did his part to dissuade people of this misconception. It’s not about reigning in this world; but joining with God here so as to be with Him forever in Heaven. The Kingdom of God is at hand – reach out and take Jesus’ hand, walk hand in hand with Him, through the valley of death and fear no evil [or slippery roads!]. But don’t expect the defeat of the Romans – or the conqueror dejure. It is the defeat of self, the victory over Satan, the conquering by Good that brings the Peace of Christ and the Kingdom of God – Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done….

Zephania 3:14-18a. Shout for Joy! The Lord has removed his judgment against you – Forgiveness, the cornerstone of the Temple in the Holy City. The Peace of Christ before communion at Mass – I forgive you. Remember, whenever someone says I’m sorry, reply with I forgive you [that’s so different than ‘that’s ok’ which it probably isn’t wasn’t will ever be]. The King is here, in your midst. People act differently when ‘the man’ is around. How is it that we don’t get it that The Man is always around – try Patrick’s breastplate prayer…. To be good and right always because we are loved by God, because we love God in return; because we are loved by our parents and we return that Love, that Grace, in the way God has taught us in the commandments and shown us in Jesus….

Philippians 4:4-7. Rejoice in the Lord always, always rejoice. Always rejoice. Always. Rejoice. It takes being ‘in the Lord’ to do that. And if we’re not rejoicing – even under Job-esque circumstances – then we just might not be ‘in the Lord’ while He is always in us.

Luke 3:10-18. John the Baptist is the highlight of the day. Are you the Messiah? “I am baptizing you with water; but one mightier than I is coming. He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit and fire.” Rejoice in the presence of the Lord. Be Fired up with the Holy Spirit. You have been baptized and confirmed – sealed by the Spirit! There is always one mightier than “I”. and there is no joy without that recognition that we are in His presence at all times….

t-minus nine days and counting. The third candle is lit. the rose candle. Rejoice!

I love you
dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home