Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Feb 4 Modan 6th c

Thom and Jack,
Good morning, I love you
110112, 1325

February 4

Modan 6th century

Modan was the son of an Irish chieftain. A Ri or a High Ri. I’d say that Grandpa as pater familias in abstentia is a modern version of our clans chieftain. I’m sorry that we have our own clan diaspora. (and windows wants to capitalize diaspora but not God?)

Modan labored in Scotland, preaching at Stirling and Falkirk, until elected against his will as abbot of a monastery. We think we know our own vocation. Our own prayer, our own piety, our own efforts to fulfill our baptismal vows and vocation. And then God not only knocks on our door, calls us from a voice in our sleep, but whops us across the side of the head with an election to a leadership position within our Church or community. Serve God and let the chips fall where they may.

Eventually, Modan resigned and became a hermit, dying near Dumbarton. My last resignation felt the same way. Let me just be a hermit then die. And then, here I am, obviously with more expected of me. Ora pro me.

I love you,
Dad
1332

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home