Monday, February 25, 2008

Feb 3 John Nelson, SJ d. 1576

John and Thommy


Good morning
I love you

Saturday morning prayer with you through the feasts…. Written for us, for me, for later as well [bloggable too.]

February 3 St John Nelson, SJ d. 1576

John Nelson, SJ, became a Jesuit just before his death. I wonder if they’d do that these days? Once I wipe out my financial obligations, I just may present myself again to them….

John Nelson, a native of Skelton, went to Douai for his seminary work. By now you know the story of the 16th c. experiences of our Church at the hands of the English monarchs et al. John Nelson was forty when he was ordained – and in the 16th c. maybe that’s the equivalent remaining lifespan of a 58 y.o. guy these days?

John Nelson went to/was sent to the English mission in 1576. It didn’t take long before he was caught – hung, drawn, and quartered. For simply professing his faith through his service to the Church in his vocation as priest…. Don’t you just love the English…. 

I love you
dad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home