Wednesday, December 29, 2010

101229 in memoriam

Jack and Thom
Good morning, I love you
101229, 1736


The week since Christmas….

Yesterday morning, my Godfather and Uncle, Frank, died. After a long deterioration and an extended period in a nursing home. Requiescat in pacem! Ora pro eo!

Frank was the oldest of the Nolan Clan. New York City Policeman, then Captain, then lawyer. His oldest two children, Johnnie and Ken, are the only two cousins older than I. (Johnnie has died.)

I remember Uncle Frank as a big, strapping man – think tough NYC cop: tall, dark, handsome Mick. I remember always liking to go visit at his house, especially Long Beach – I’ve got some ‘playing with Ken’ stories from Long Beach.

His being my Godfather was something not talked about and not called upon. I did go to him a few times over the years for his advice and help – because, after Uncle Jimmy died, Uncle Frank was the only cop in the family. And, when I needed legal advice and he was a lawyer, I asked him. Maybe I got a special immediate and thorough response because I was his Godson, but I don’t think so; because I was his nephew, his brother Ken’s son, that would be plenty enough.

Here I sit, in Greensboro. The wake is tomorrow and funeral on Friday. No room on the train. No plane seats available to anywhere close to NYC [Baltimore is not close]. It’s a ten hour drive. I may go anyway. I feel I must. [Uncle Arch died just recently and I made the train trip for is wake and funeral.] Unfortunately, your grandfather, my father, Frank’s brother is unable to travel from Chicago. He will not be at the Wake/funeral. He will have to grieve and pray alone. That sux!

There are a gazillion Frank-stories within the clan. Some of them are also my stories: from as young as preschool and as recent as the one time I visited him in the nursing home. If my father is 85, Frank was, I guess, 88. From the readings for the feast of Holy Family: Sirach – “My son, take care of your father when he is old; grieve him not as long as he lives. Even if his mind fail, be considerate of him.” I hope y’all take care of your old father half as well as Frank’s children have taken care of him. (And better than your father and uncle have been allowed to take care of our father.)

I love you,
Dad
1755

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home