Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Feb 18 Colman of Lindisfarne d. 676

Jack and Thom,
Good Morning, I love you
110209, 1705

I’m headed to St Paul’s for Wednesday adoration of the Blessed Sacrament – and, the opportunity of confession. An opportunity I pass up too often but also fulfill more than before. Well, not way before, when it was a weekly routine with my mother; then an expected and ordinary part of being in Catholic School; or later, an altar boy; it was an essential part of my piety of vocation discernment; an ordinary and expected pause in my weekly novitiate life - - for fourteen years, in the beginning, weekly confession was what I did. The move to Tuscaloosa put a kink in my reception of the sacrament - - not at first but quickly. The chaplain at the Newman Center was a million years old and resisted Vatican II with all his will and authority. I scouted the few parishes in Tuscaloosa for a priest I could talk to. I gave up on that. Confession became a report to God via the sacrament regardless of priest. Not particularly psychologically gratifying but, hey, that’s when faith kicks in. Fortunately, I found a Jesuit in Birmingham…. 1970ish is a long time ago. Here in Greensboro, since 2002, there is the confessional at OLG; the semi-annual communal confessions with a bevy of priests to choose from; Fr Scherer, counselor and confessor; for the year he was at St Paul’s Fr. Benjamin; now, well, there’s Wednesday’s with our pastor and the anonymous options always available. Not weekly but often; more than monthly; less than necessary. Ora pro me. And you?

From Saturday to now? Lector on Saturday evening. Half my faith formation class was at the Mass. I hope that I did not embarrass them. I hope that I was a hint of a future opportunity of service for them. Tracy S. was the other lector. I knew her but it took me until we were into the Eucharistic Prayer that I remembered - - she was the liturgy coordinator who help our class participate in the candle procession during advent. Now I won’t forget. Her daughters are altar servers: make a parent proud.

Superbowl Sunday. I picked the Packers. But, if you had asked me to bet at the two minute mark with the Steelers on their thirteen and with only one time out down six, I still would have bet the mortgage on the Steelers’ winning. I also picked the over – I figure listening to Tony Dungy is a good idea.

Monday, Tuesday, until now? One book read. Two tv shows watched. More writing on my fictional autobio. After going to St Paul’s it’s a straight shot to Cameron. It always amazes me when someone is kind or generous to me. The ticket to tonight’s game surpasses both kindness and generosity. Let it snow!


February 18

Colman of Lindisfarne 676

Colman of Lindisfarne (known for where he wound up) was born in Connaught. We must tell ourselves that where he is born is important to whom he is. It’s important that I, and your grandfather, were born in New York City. It tells another story that you were born in Nashville. It’s a story about you and your parents and your clan….

Colman of Lindisfarne (there are over a hundred Colmans in the Irish martyrology.) was a disciple of Columba. We should know Columba by now. We should know what it means to be a disciple of Columba. From Connaught to Columba tells us about Colman’s fundamentals. So does your city of birth and those you’ve followed and learned from tell about you. You have a the entire rest of your life to choose where your eulogy will say where you are “of” and under whom you were “disciple.” Choose better.

So famous were his virtues and learning, Colman became a bishop. Respond to the gifts God has given you and develop extraordinary virtue. Be famous for your virtue with whomever you hang, wherever you go. You also have more than your fair share of IQ points. You should be famous in your circle and beyond for your learning. Learning is a lifetime vocation and one for which you still have time to show the light you’ve been given. For both virtue and learning, you have been given extraordinary resources and talent. To underutilize either is a grievous dissing of God’s generosity.

As bishop (beginning in 661) Colman of Lindisfarne defended the Celtic ecclesiastical practices at the Synod of Whitby. We should know about Whitby. We should know about King Oswy who introduced the Roman rites into Ireland. What does it mean to you that Colman, a bishop, opposed King and other Saints/bishops and is still today, a disciple of Columba, an honored saint? How do you lead from your properly formed conscience, contrary to the current ecclesiastical and secular winds AND remain a saint?

Colman refused to accept the decision to adopt Roman Rites vs the Celtic ones - - might we allude to the present day’s debate about the Vatican’s imposition of their translation of the Missal on the version used in the United States? Does one holy Catholic and apostolic Church mean conformity for these details? It did at Whitby. It seems to be so today as well. I suggest we need more Colmans in our American Episcopal leaders.

Between the years 665 and 667 St. Colman founded several churches in Scotland, and, at length, accompanied by thirty disciples, sailed for Ireland, settling down at Innisboffin, County Mayo, in 668.

Colman led a group of Irish and English Monks to the Isle of Innishboffin, near Connaught. Colman settled many of these monks in Mayo, where he is remembered today as founding the diocese and an abbey there. Imagine, County Mayo, the Diocese of, over fourteen hundred years old! That’s Tradition.

I love you,
Dad
1752

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home