Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oct 31 Alphonsus Rodriguez, S.J. b. 1532 d. 1617 c. 1888

Good Morning,

111026
1335

October 30

St Alphonsus Rodriguez b. 1532 d. 1617 bl. 1885 c. 1888

Lay brother. One of my friends in the novitiate was a brother. A DJ from Providence. Vocations of all types come any time from any where. Be open to your call – always. One of the holiest men at the novitiate was one of the brothers in the infirmary. He made that rotation a personal and religious joy. I guess I could be an acceptable brother at this late stage?

Alphonsus Rodriguez was born in Segovia, Spain, on July 25, 1532, the son of a wealthy merchant. It makes a difference in one’s life who your parents are, what resources they have for your upbringing and how they can open doors into your future. [Rejecting one parent altogether is one way to cut your nose to spite your face. It lessens your opportunities not to mention disses the gifts God has given you.]

Alphonsus Rodriguez was prepared for First Communion by Blessed Peter Favre, S.J., a friend of Alphonsus' father. I do not remember who ‘prepared’ me for my first communion. It was what I did. All first graders did it. Everyone in my family went to communion and this was my turn to join them. I am sure that the good sisters at St Patrick’s school drilled us in the mystery and the faith and the facts of the Sacrament. I am sure that we practiced not only the entire ceremony but also in the particulars of receiving the host on our tongue as we knelt at the altar rail. I feel the same reverence and piety in the procession to get the host in my hand. But I experience a greater piety when I kneel down and receive it on my tongue. Ora pro me.

Alphonsus Rodriguez was introduced to the Jesuits in his home from his earliest childhood. I don’t remember a priest ever coming to our home. I do remember Aunt Monica! Sister Anita Rosaire! The woman was the personification of holiness, of Church, of religiosity. If I have a vocation it is mostly due to her. If I am religious, Aunt Monica gets much of the credit. Every Catholic home should be visited by the priests and religious of the parish and community. But Alphonsus Rodriguez grew up with the nascent Society of Jesus in his home!

Bl. Fr. Peter Favre, S.J. was an influence on Alphonsus Rodriguez’s faith formation. Alphonsus Rodriguez’s father brought this Jesuit priest, this friend of the family, into their home. Both of these men must have made a huge impact on the boy’s religious education, his prayer, his piety. [Rejecting one parent also loses you all the friends and contacts that God gave to the parent to give to you!]

While studying with the Jesuits at Alcala, Alphonsus had to return home when his father died. In Segovia he took over the family business, was married, and had a son. Of course Alphonsus Rodriguez studied with the Jesuits. By the time he was of age, the Jesuits were part of his spiritual DNA. I came to the Jesuits by chance. (God’s chance? Was my father kept in Portland so I’d have to go to Cheverus? God’s plan plays out in his way, his time. Except, of course, for that free will thing.]

Alphonsus Rodriguez’s son died, as did two other children and then his wife. He must have felt like Job! How did Alphonsus take care of his family and community as well as his relationship with God while his children and his wife were taken away from him? Would it not be worth our while to know that. The fact that he came through this is certainly encouraging. How did he do it? How did he help his children and wife bear up with their losses. How does he help us do it?

At the age of twenty-six he married Mary Francisco Suárez, a woman of his own station, and at thirty-one found himself a widower with one surviving child, the other two having died previously.

Alphonsus sold his business and applied to the Jesuits. His lack of education and his poor health, undermined by his austerities, made him less than desirable as a candidate for the religious life, but he was accepted as a lay brother by the Jesuits on January 31, 1571, 39 years old….

Lack of education? Raised by a wealthy family, initially educated by Jesuits. A man who successfully took over the family business. But to be a Jesuit priest still today requires the man to be educated enough to be eligible for Holy Orders plus to be an educator of the children of the rich; to establish the best universities. So the Society accepted this (high society/rich) man as a lay brother. Alphonsus Rodriquez so wanted to be a Jesuit, to travel the Society of Jesus as the path to be closest to Jesus, that he accepted the role of lay brother.

Alphonsus Rodriquez practiced austerities – to the extent that he harmed his health. We should practice austerities, to better purify ourselves in our pursuit of oneness with God.

Alphonsus Rodriquez underwent novitiate training and was sent to Montesion College on the island of Majorca. There he labored as a hall porter for forty-six years. I wish I stuck in any one place for four years which would then become twenty-four and maybe a lifetime of service. Might this be the place: this ‘new’ apartment? Sticking it out has its own merits.

Alphonsus Rodriguez exerted a wondrous influence on many. Not only the young students, such as St. Peter Claver, but local civic and social leaders came to his porter's lodge for advice and direction. Look for the holy man among you! He’s there. In plain sight. Open your eyes and see. Listen. Be brave and approach. Ask for advice and direction. Discern. Then do. Find your own Alphonsus Rodriguez!

Obedience and penance were the hallmarks of his life, as well as his devotion to the Immaculate Conception.

I left the novitiate because I could not see myself being obedient. Probably my worst decision in my life. Obedience is the hallmark of Love – love for God, love of self, love of all of our loved ones. Disobedience is a rejection of love.

Probably Alphonsus Rodriguez’s penance, including his austerities, had to do first of all to his sins of disobedience. I wish I were more sincere with my penance. I wish I were more austere. Ora pro me.

Alphonsus Rodriguez experienced many spiritual consolations, and he wrote religious treatises, very simple in style but sound in doctrine. We read some passages from his work. I recommend Simple! Simple being not elite or academic or intellectual. The man spoke about his relationship with God. How do you relate with God? Alphonsus has some suggestions.

Alphonsus died after a long illness on October 31, 1617, and his funeral was attended by Church and government leaders. He was declared Venerable in 1626, and was named a patron of Majorca in 1633. Alphonsus was beatified in 1825 and canonized in September 1888 with St. Peter Claver.

AMDG
wtn
1437

1 Comments:

At May 22, 2012 at 3:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to read daily a volume called simply "Rodriguez" during my novitiate in 1961. Is this the same Rodriguez? And if so what is the title of the book and where might I be able to get a copy?
Thank you.
Jerome

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home