Sunday, February 13, 2011

Feb 22 Bl John the Saxon d. 895

Jack and Thom,
Good Morning, I love you
110213, 1148

Happy Sunday. We had a raucous faith formation class today – how much the cappuccino contributed to my enthusiasm, I dare say quite a bit. It was a fun class. The students’ enthusiasm about our GIHN service is contagious and heart warming.

At St. Paul’s, third graders are eligible to be altar servers. Here I was telling the class that this is a service they can do soon – like at ten or fifth grade – but I was wrong. They can do that now. So, let’s see if we can recruit some from our faith formation classes.

Our various ministries operate in parallel universes. The opportunities for synergy are low hanging fruit.

Saturday – NC bounced back from Duke and beat Clemson. I was more interested in the Ohio State v. Wisconsin game. Two years – ish in Columbus made me a fan of the Buckeyes and Thad Matta. Wisconsin has beaten OSU six times straight at Wisconsin. And did it again yesterday.

I also picked up a book yesterday and finished it off in the wee hours of today. I’m not only a binge eater but a binge reader. Binging is not something I recommend. Moderation and all that….



February 22

Bl John the Saxon 895

I might have more sympathy for England and the Church of England under the onslaught of Danes in the 8th and 9th centuries if our home of Ireland weren’t so often and so viciously under the occupation and threat of England, into the 20th century.

But, in the 9th century, King Alfred the Great invited Bl John the Saxon, a monk in a monastery in France, to go to England and help restore the Christian faith in the wake of the severe and destructive invasions by the Danes.

John the Saxon was appointed abbot of Athelingay by Alfred. John the Saxon served with vigor and distinction until his murder one night by two French monks under his care.

I wish I knew more about this story of these French monks’ betrayal of their abbot. I suppose a lesson is that in the midst of a restoration, watch your back.

I love you,
Dad
1202

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home